The region of South Pelion was a reference to any period of history. After all across Magnesia there is a strong economic and cultural activity since the Neolithic era, as the archaeological findings and Diminiou Sesklo.
In the wider area now developed the City Argalastis there were several structured communities in the past such as Olizona the Sipiada and Spalathra who experienced significant growth over the Homeric, Classical and Hellenistic periods. Specifically, the ancient Spalathra that their location is identified in the coastal zone between grass and Milina were evacuated station in the region to transport goods from the ports of Pagassitikos inside of Magnesia. There are many historical references of geographers and historians as Skylax, Pliny and later Strabo and Stephen of Byzantium. Moreover a number of archaeological finds such as pottery, coins, statues testify to the economic development of ancient Spalathron, especially during the 6th century BC
The development of the area directly affected by the history of the whole of Greece, and so after the heyday of classical times followed the Roman domination, the Byzantine Empire and then the Turks.
As early as the late 17th century, the center of economic activity is Argalasti. The first mention that there is a Turkish firman of 1653. Its inhabitants are mostly farmers and ranchers and many of them come from Epirus, Central Greece and the rest of Thessaly. Characteristics indicate that Argalasti was the capital of the foundations (in Turkish villages forgiven churches), named “ARGALASTI-Moukantisi” ie “vice governship police ARGALASTI” until 1697 when moved to Makrynitsa. The 18th century found Argalasti be a developed village of Pelion, with great production in many agricultural products and intense activity in the field of sericulture. He is also a member of the Association of Abelakia history. During the Revolution the whole area bears the brunt of the brutality of the Turks, leading to stem the tide of economic and cultural development.
Forerunner of the present Municipality was Dimos Spalathron, who formed the Royal Decree of 31 March 1883 (Official Gazette 126) “On the division in the municipality of his law Volos Larissa province.” The total population of the municipality was 3,731 residents and participated Argalasti, Xinovrysi the Siki, Kallithea and the Glebe.
The significant growth in the region of South Pelion, especially during the 18th century, attracted the interest of many historians and scholars of that time. Extremely interesting history of place names both Argalastis, and other communities and neighborhoods, since more often a source of knowledge for the creation and evolution through time.
Argalasti: the first version for the words “Argo” and “are driven” because according to tradition, the area was the passage of the Argonauts in the Aegean Sea to begin the campaign. The other version says that the name is Turkish, and comes from the paraphrase of the word “Rust” which in Turkish means forgiveness. Kalithea old called Bir (probably from the name of a fMLP Bey). It owes its name to the great location that is built and offers excellent views.
Reed: the first name was Canal, a small river leading to the sea, and over time became the current designation.
Pau: main version is that it comes from the Slavic “Baum” meaning garden trees.
Paltsi: from the Turkish “Balci” ie the place beekeeping.
Aura: the older name was Zastaini and is probably of Slavic origin. The current name is due to the sea breeze, which is intense, especially in the summer.
Myriovryti: name given because the area has many good (Myria – abound). When residents named due to the many waters.
LEFOKASTRO: there are many versions of this place name. The first attributes the name to a settler named Lefas or Lefes. A second aspect concerns the composition of the words “castle” and “lick” as the village is very close to the sea. Finally it is possible that the castle was built by a Slavic sex OFI (same etymological authority Lehonia).
Grass: owes its name to the rich flora of the region.
Shares: very old place that was “dependency” that region depended a great monastery.
Xinovryssi: the old name was Bestinika (because it was built in stricture). The current name was derived from its acidulent a water source near the sea.
Watering: The name given to the settlement because there are many cultivated area irrigated.